Avogadro is an online software system designed specifically for Science Olympiad. Thanks to funding from the School of Science and Mathematics at Truman, we will be using Avogadro as our means for collecting team information, scheduling, and scoring for our regional event, putting everything on one platform. Each team’s coach will have coach level access to Avogadro to provide information and schedule event participation. The following process will be used to get started with Avogadro:
- Coaches must register with Avogadro at: https://app.avogadro.ws/login. This year the Avogadro system has undergone a substantial redesign, so even if you have registered in a previous year, you will need to register again as your old username will no longer be active. Registration is free and only requires a username and a password. Registration is necessary before our Regional Director can grant you coach-level access to the site. Once you have completed registrations and clicked on the activation link in the e-mail you receive from Avogardo, e-mail the Regional Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inform him that you have completed Avogadro registration and of the username you used to register.
- Once the Regional Director receives confirmation from the State Director that your team has officially registered for the competition (that is…paid your membership fee), your team will be added to the Avogadro site and the coach will be given coach-level access.
- The coach can then access the appropriate Avogadro site for their division and enter coach and team information, schedule events, etc. Links to our regional Avogadro sites for each division are:
Follow the instructions below to enter your team information and select time slots for individual events:
When you log in to https://app.avogadro.ws/login with the username and password you asked me to assign to your team, a page will open showing the tournaments you have been assigned a role in. There you should see a “Missouri” heading and a link to Truman State University Regional (Div. C) (Coach) or Truman State University Regional (Div. C) (Coach) (or both if you are a coach for C and B division teams). Clicking on the link will bring you to your team interface. If you are assigned to two teams in one division, you will be taken to a page where you can select which team page to access. On the team page, there are two clickable links on the top right hand side of the page: Teams and Scheduling. These two links will allow you to identify the events you are participating in, enter team members, assign team members to event (optional) and schedule time-slots for each event.
1. Selecting events your team will participate in:
- Click on the Teams link first. In the Teams page, click either “Competing” or “Not Competing” for each event (clicking the “A” at the top of the event list selects all of the events). Once you have made all of your selections, click the “Update” button. DON’T FORGET TO CLICK UPDATE!
2. Entering team members:
- Still in the Teams page, scroll near the bottom of the page and click the “Team members who are competing in events and all alternate team members” link.
- You DO NOT need to enter team member names before selecting time slots, but please have your team members entered no later than February 11 so that we can print team rosters, etc.
- In the “Add Team Member” field, enter the students first and last name. The system will automatically search for a user with that name and will likely not find one. Below the name field you will have the option to create a user with the student name you entered. Clicking on the “Create User” option will open a new window. The only required fields in this window are the “Full Name”, “eMail address” and “Grade Level” fields.
- I commented to the Avogadro folks that many coaches may not have e-mail addresses for all of their students. They suggested that it is not unusual for teachers to use a single e-mail (such as their own) for their team member. Avogadro only uses the e-mails to track students as they progress from regional to state and national tournament and since our state tournament doesn’t use Avogadro, having each student with the same e-mail is no big deal, it would be quicker just to copy and paste a single e-mail for each student.
- NOTE: Alternatively, you could have students create their own usernames in Avogadro, but I suspect that may require multiple reminders and may be more of a headache than creating them yourself.
- Once a user has been created for a student, that user can be added to the team by entering their name in the “Add Team Member” field. Repeat the process (I agree it is tedious) for each team member. As you add team member, they should begin to appear at the top of the page in the table under the list of events.
3. Assigning team members to individual events:
- Still in the Teams page, click the appropriate boxes to match each team member with their events.
4. Scheduling time slots for events:
- Click on the Scheduling link at the top of the page. A page should open listing the open time slots for all of the events that you selected as Competing in the Teams If the appropriate events do to display, return to the Teams page to verify, As I was exploring the site, I forgot to click Update after selecting events and, therefore the events were not updated.
- Select a time slot for each event. When you are finished, click Update Timeslot Statuses on the bottom of the page.
- You can view your entire team schedule, as well as individual student schedules by clicking on the View team schedule link at the top of the page.
- You can make changes to your selected timeslots by clicking on the Scheduling link at the top of the page.
If you have questions or run into problems using Avogadro, please let the Regional Director know.